Most electronic cigarettes are said to be 99 percent safe. The remaining 1 percent represents some possible risks of smoking these modern cigarettes. Manufacturers are not allowed to guarantee absolute certainty regarding what makes electronic cigarettes safe.
The nicotine found in e-cigarettes is not harmful like the tobacco in traditional cigarettes. However, nicotine can be dangerous for people with special conditions, such as pregnant women. It is therefore not practical to assume that electronic cigarettes are 100 percent safe because pregnant women may be tempted to use them, yet they are strongly advised to abstain from smoking during their pregnancy period.
If manufacturers of electronic cigarettes declare that their products are 100 percent safe, they risk losing money in the form of lawsuits from their customers. Some electronic cigarettes leak the e-juice onto the lips of consumers, and when they swallow the drops of juice, they may develop stomach irritations or allergies. This will also depend on the health status of the users and the sensitivity of their skin.
Such minor incidents can lead to financial loss for companies that create electronic cigarettes when the issue is forwarded to a court of law. The complainants will argue that they used that particular brand because they were guaranteed 100% safety, but ended up with serious health complications. They will therefore sue the manufacturers for lying about their products and risking the health of thousands of consumers.
Manufacturers of electronic cigarettes depend on customer feedback to gauge the quality of their products. They may come across some negative reviews of the same products in terms of safety standards. They use such negative reviews to come up with long-term solutions, but in cases where some problems such as allergic reactions are out of their control, they have no choice other than letting their customers know that their electronic cigarette safety standards can only reach the 99.9 percent mark.